It is all change for training this year and it would be great to keep those who are in training in your prayers.
New this year are Jason, Judy, Gaynor and Sue. Already in training are Penny, Sandy, Debbie & Debbie and Jane, and in their final year, Roy and Matt who are due to be licensed in October 2020.
Eight new readers are due to be licensed in October, Henry, Robin, James, Martin, Debbie, Liz, Lesley and Kim. Please do pray for them.
Before I was Chaplain to Readers I was Chaplain to Readers in Training and it remains as part of my role although I am delighted that Reader, Margaret Sylvester-Thorne has come on board as assistant Chaplain and will be the presence at most of the weekend courses at MARJON. I will attend when I can.
Following their two year SWMTC course there will be a post licensing year with day school elements and other tasks.
This year two students will have a final year on their own so they have had a study programme developed for them which may provide opportunities for other readers to take part in the day schools by way of continuing ministerial development.
A suggested programme is as follows:
· Two study days e.g: 1. Funeral Training (inc visit to local crematorium)
2. Focus on a Biblical book or topic
These might be opened up to all Readers, especially those licensed in the last two to three years.
· Year 3 Placement (6 weeks, chaplaincy, other denomination etc)
· Lead a 4 – 6 week group study course: Bible study/Lent/Advent/Baptism or Confirmation Preparation etc
· One assessed act of worship
· One assessed sermon
· Two pieces of summative work:
1. An extended Theological Reflection on an aspect of work being undertaken in the parish/workplace/wider diocesan context
2. Placement portfolio including reflection on experience (Total c 5000 words)
· To meet at least once a term with a personal tutor or supervisor / as a supervision group with a supervisor